Albert Lucking Lodge 2717


PROVINCE OF ESSEX

CONSECRATED 29th OCTOBER 1898

Albert Lucking Chapter

Home Officers & Meetings Freemasonry History Charity Contact & Links
Chapter Home

Southend in 1890 was a rapidly growing town and there was only one Masonic Lodge in the borough, Priory Lodge 1000.













1898

T. HOOD PPGR

1899

W. S-MILLER PPGW

1900

W. CROW PAGStB

1901

E. KEMP PPGStB

1902

J. BERRY PGP

1903

W. KEMP

1904

T. BYFORD PPGR

1905

W. MACINTOSH

1906

P. ROSKAMS

1907

H. COOMBES PPGStB

1908

A. WHUR PPAGDC

1909

S. ILES PPAGDC

1910

A. COTGROVE PPGR

1911

T. BRAND PPAGDC

1912

J. KEMP PPGStB

1913

T. MABBS

1914

J. SMITH PPAGDC

1915

G. BONE PPGSuptW

1916

J. JONES PPAGDC

1917

J. HARDING

1918

E. RISBY PPAGDC

1919

G. BUNKER PPGStB

1920

C. ELKINS PPGStB

1921

G. MURRELL PPGD

1922

H. HART PPGSwdB

1923

W. SHARPE

1924

P. WATSON

1925

L. BUNKER PPGStB

1926

J. COOPER PPGStB

1927

W. CLARK PPDepGReg

1928

G. FORSYTH

1929

W. SINGLETON

1930

G. FOX

1931

G. HARVEY PPGStB

1932

F. WHISSTOCK PPAGStB

1933

W. FLAXMAN

1934

H. SHEPERD PPAGDC

1935

H. GIMSON PPGW

1936

A. STEBBING PPGW

1937

H. MURRELL PPGW

1938

C. WELLS PPAGDC

1939

H. FOZZARD PPAGDC

1940

B. ALLEN PPGW

1941

W. WHEELER PPGStB

1942

W. VIGURS

1943

A. BRITTNEY PPAGDC

1944

S. BROUGHTON PPGD

1945

J. CLARKE PPGW

1946

S. GEORGE

1947

A. TOOK PPAGPurs

1948

W. HARVEY PPAGDC

1949

S. HARTWELL PPAGSuptW

1950

S. ISLES PPGW

1951

J. HART PPGW

1952

J. CRICKETT PPGW

1953

F. WEBBER PPGStB

1954

J. SMITH Jnr

1955

W. POTTON

The warrant was prepared and cost ten pounds, ten shillings.


The 20 petitioners paid two shillings and sixpence each for registration and a Book of Constitutions purchased for one shilling and sixpence, the total cost being £13.1.6d.


On 29th October 1898, St Clement’s Lodge No. 2442 gave birth to the Albert Lucking Lodge No. 2717.

W.

Bro T. Hood PM 1000 PPGR (Essex)

Worshipful Master

W.

Bro W. Bridgeland PM 1000 PPGSwdB (Essex)

Acting IPM


Bro W. Scott-Miller SW 2500

Senior Warden

W.

Bro  F. England WM 2442 ProvGSupW (Essex)

Junior Warden

W.

Bro T. Varney Chaplain1817 PPGChap (Essex)

Chaplain

W.

Bro A. Marden PM 1817 PPAGDC (Essex)

Treasurer

W.

Bro H. Dickens IPM 2442

Secretary


Bro W Marlow 1000

DC

W.

Bro W. Crow PM 1000

Senior Deacon


Bro J. Cummings JW 1910

Junior Deacon


Bro W. Stevenson Organist 1817

Organist

W.

Bro J Berry IPM 1817

Inner Guard


Bro A. Drury 1817

Steward


Bro G. Jacob  1000

Steward


Bro E. Kemp  IG 1000

Steward


Bro T. Byford  IG 898

Steward

W.

Bro W. Knight PM 1107 PPAGDC (Kent)

Steward


Bro A. Martin Prov. G. Tyler (Essex)

Tyler

In the beginning...


The consecration meeting was held at the Westcliff Hotel with the Provincial Grand Master, the Earl of Warwick, in the chair and consecrating officer.


He appointed W. Bro Thomas Hood (PM Priory Lodge 1000) to be the first Master, Bro. Walter Scott Miller the Senior Warden and W. Bro Frederick England the Junior Warden.

FOUNDER MEMBERS 1898

1956

C. SILLETT PPAGDC

1957

C. HARVEY PPGD

1958

S. CLASPER

1959

R. DINES PPGD

1960

W. HEATH PPSGD

1961

P. WEBBER

1962

F. COTGROVE PPGStwd

1963

A. BRITTANY PPSGD

1964

L. LOVETT PPGD

1965

S. COLE PPAGPurs

1966

F. POND PPAGDC

1967

T. POND PPGD

1968

A. NOBLE PPGD

1969

M. SHARP PPJGW

1970

R. GREEN PPAGDC

1971

R. HARTWELL PPJGW

1972

S. PHILLIMORE PPGSuptW

1973

C. COOTE PPGD

1974

D. INNELL PPJGW

1975

A. MARSH PPGD

1976

F. STEED PPGW

1977

M. LAWRENCE PPGStB

1978

M. GINN PPAGSuptW

1979

L. BOWDEN-BROWN

1980

N. AEROFF

1981

J. JONES PPSGD

1982

R. JAMES PPJGD

1983

R. WEST PPGStB

1984

M. JOEL PPGSwdB

1985

B. B-BROWN PPJGW

1986

J. WILLIS PPJGW

1987

W. ROBINSON PPAGDC

1988

M. HOLMES PPGW

1989

S. JAMES PPJGW

1990

R. GILBERT LGR

1991

C. BRITTON PPJGW

1992

R. CRANE PPAGDC

1993

M. BUCK PPGStB

1994

R. STEVENS PPGStB

1995

A. NORMAN

1996

J. HALL PPAGDC

1997

R. SQUIBB PPDepGSwdB

1998

J. COOK PPJGD

1999

S. PHILPIN PPAGDC

2000

R. REEVES

2001

P. PHIPPIN PPAGDC

2002

S. CLARKSON PPGSwdB

2003

B. B-BROWN PPJGW

2004

R. GALLEY

2005

R. WALKER PPAGDC

2006

M. STEPTOE PPAGDC

2007

R. BEDINI ProvAGDC

2008

P. THURGOOD PProvJGD

2009

W. FRASER

2010

S. CLARKSON PPGSwdB

2011

A. LATHAM

2012

T. THURSTONProvGStwd

2013

T. THURSTONProvGStwd

2014

L. MAYO

2015

Aus. LATHAM

2016

B. NICHOLS

2017

P. MARSHALL

On the warrant it states that the meetings were to take place at the Westcliff Hotel on the third Saturday’s in September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April and May. However, for some reason (not known) a Notice of Motion dated 28th October 1907 was approved cancelling the May and September meetings. The April and December meetings were also cancelled but we have no record of when this occurred.


Another Notice of Motion in 1900 changed the venue to the Masonic Hall, Whitegate Road, where meetings were held until March 1909.


From 1909 until 1924 the Lodge met at the Victoria Hotel in Southend High Street (the top end now next to Victoria Circus). In 1924 the Lodge moved to Garon's Restaurant (further down Southend High Street) where it remained until we moved to the Woodgrange Drive temple in 1957 and finally moving to our present magnificent temple in Saxon Hall during 2006.


It is interesting to see that from 1898 until 1936 it was the custom for each reigning Master to sign his name on the Warrant. Why this stopped is not known, but perhaps it was suddenly realised that when the warrant is delivered into the hand of the newly installed Master his predecessor tells him that he will transmit it, pure and unsullied, as he now receives it!


At the second meeting of the Lodge on 21st January 1899, W. Bro Albert Lucking took the chair and initiated his brother Edward and five other gentlemen! At the February meeting they were Passed to the Degree of a Fellowcraft; and at the May meeting they were all raised!

The Deacons certainly had their work cut out for them in those days.

Roll Call of

Past Masters

W. Bro Albert Lucking

Updated but originally written and included in the Lodge centenary book ‘Our First One Hundred Years’ 1898—1998

A great deal of  thanks must be extended to W. Bro Innell (the compiler) who has made extensive research through the lodge records and produced our above centenary book—many sections of which have been reproduced on this site.


It was felt that another Lodge needed to be formed and 20 brethren from various Lodges signed a Petition which was


submitted to the Earl of Warwick, Provincial Grand Master for Essex, to form a new Lodge to be called the Albert Lucking Lodge.


The Petition was drafted by the officers of the St. Clement’s Lodge No 2442 who met at the Bell Hotel, Leigh-on-Sea.


            The submission was made on 21st May 1898 and granted on 1st June.


Postcard of Southend High Street showing Tippers Restaurant & Hotel with kind permission of  www.oldukphotos.com

Currency Explanation Post Card Sigs